Issue 3 – January 2019
Ontario Creates Business Intelligence Bulletin
Our quarterly Business Intelligence Bulletin brings you links to research studies, industry statistics, trends, policy development and other resources of interest to Ontario’s creative industries.
- There will be two Business Intelligence Program Deadlines in 2019: April 16 and October 22. Applications for the April 16 deadline will open in the Online Application Portal on March 5.
- Organizations planning to apply for the BIP should contact Ontario Creates’ Research Department to determine eligibility of the organization and the project.
- Ontario Creates welcomes Erin Smith as the new Manager of Research, Strategic Planning and IT. Many of you may know Erin as the Senior Policy Advisor at Ontario Creates, prior to this role Erin spent five years as a Tax Credit Business Officer for the film, television and interactive digital media sectors. Before joining Ontario Creates Erin was the Program Manager for Bell Media’s Bravo!FACT (Foundation to Assist Canadian Talent).
Recent Events and Podcasts
- Discussion Session: TechTalk: Trends to Watch, Toronto, ON October 26, 2018
- Discussion Session: Success stories in marketing and exporting Francophone and bilingual content, Ottawa, ON November 9, 2018 (in French only)
Recent Reports Funded by Ontario Creates
Recently Updated Industry Profiles
Ontario Creates Online Research Library
- We have added links to over 35 reports from all industry sectors to our , including a sector profile of the Book Publishing Industry commissioned by the Association of Canadian Publishers and More Canada, a look at the current state of the English-language book publishing and book reading in Canada. Online Research Library
- Export Development Canada (EDC) is inviting Canadian Companies to join the EDC Research panel. Participants receive brief monthly surveys which help identify priority markets and key issues, trends and business challenges, and in return can access free business intelligence reports. For more information and to sign up, . click here
Creative Industries Policy
- The Ontario government is hosting consultations across the province that will inform the 2019 Budget. The Minister of Finance will attend in-person sessions across the province to hear from local communities. Ontarians can also . The deadline for submissions is February 8, 2019. submit ideas by filling out an online submission form, emailing ideas, or mailing their ideas directly to the Ministry of Finance
- The CRTC has issued a call for comments in regards to a new Production Report to be completed each year by large English- and French-language ownership groups that would replace the current Programs of National Interest (PNI) Report. Draft templates are provided for consideration. Issues include key creative roles to be identified in the report, and data to be collected related to participation of women in production, expenditures on programs by indigenous producers and more. The comment deadline is February 6, 2019, and more information is available . here
- In response to comments from several parties, the Broadcasting and Telecommunications Legislative Review Panel extended the deadline for submissions to its Call for Comments until January 11, 2019. The Panel expects to issue a report in the spring of 2019 on what it has heard during this consultation process. The Panel will announce at that time what further consultations, if any, will be undertaken in advance of its final report by January 31, 2020. For more information on the consultation, click . here
- Comments recently closed on the review of the Copyright Act. You can read all of the submitted briefs and watch video of past standing committee meetings . here